Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Fashion Show from Bravo


I was very reluctant on watching this show considering how famous "Project Runway" is. As we all know Project Runway moves to Bravo's big competitor channel TLC. It was a stupid move on Bravotv's part, but hey... I wasn't involved in this whole blow out so who cares! I love TLC anyway. Anyway, my first reaction when I saw the preview of The Fashion Show, I thought how could you compete with something so big? But I decided to give the show a chance to wow me.

My impression when I saw the first episode was this can't be real. Are all designers this weird? This Merlin guy was wearing red Robin Hood outfit, James Paul looked like little Christian Siriano (winner of last season Project Runway) but in a weirder way, and Johnny guy looked like Samurai soldier with a bun on his head. It was just totally weird!!

I can definitely see the resemblance between The Fashion Show and Project Runway. Isaac Mizrahi axes word is "We're just not buying it" compare to Heidi Klum's "auf wiedersehen". The things I like so far about this show:

  • the designers work in a group to present a collection instead of presenting their own style. Presenting a collection is a lot harder than it is to an individual piece, because you want to make sure everything is cohesive. The conflict between designers within the group also adds a little bit of interesting drama to it.
  • I also like the assignments thus far since it is more wearable by consumers.

  • Isaac Mizrahi and Kelly Rowland are the hosts and judges, and I think they do ok so far.

  • They invited a group of people who are in fashion industry to vote the winner and give their brutally honest opinion about the work. I think it is more fair for the competition as we won't see (hopefully) people like Kenley whom the judges obviously kept for the sake of drama.

The things I don't like about the show:

  • I don't really get the idea of Isaac and Kelly paying a visit to the designer work room and reviewing their work. They don't really give any advise as Tim Gunn does at Project Runway. And if they do, it won't be fair since they're also the judges. Sometimes it's interesting to see how the designers listen to Gunn's advise (or not) and execute it.
  • I miss Michael Kors and Nina Garcia snarky comments. I think Isaac, Kelly and the guest judges are too nice.
  • I think the designers are less talented than Project Runway's. My all time favorites are season 2 Project Runway (Chloe Dao, Santino, and Daniel Voscovich). I'm not completely impressed with their work.

I'm just eager to see how talented the designers are and what else this show has to offer. Overall, the fashion show seems to be promising and worth to stick around.

0 comments on "The Fashion Show from Bravo"

Post a Comment

Followers

 

The Fashionista Mama Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez